The Red Soldier Forum
June 24, 2017, 05:02:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An Interesting E-mail I recevied  (Read 3593 times)
stavka
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2010, 08:39:07 PM »

I received a quick note from someone who was interested in purchasing the book. It contained am interesting tidbit;

"I am anxious to read your book. A relative served w/ the 6th Army and was not returned to Germany until 1958."

This sparked a rather lengthy, but what I think many may find to be an intereting, reply;

"If/When you order a copy and read through "snow and steel" I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Many of the men in the German Sixth army were draftees - they were not "nazis" per se, but were forced to be there. That is not to say that there weren't nazi's there, but rather, that not everyone there was a nazi. It can also be said that there were certainly some terrible people in the Soviet army at the time as well. I've tried very hard to illustrate that point throughout this book - that there were both good and bad people on Both sides. I hope it comes through.

Some of the things the Soviets did to Germany after the war in thier frusrtation and revenge were equelly as bad as what the Nazi's did to them in the first place. "An eye for an eye" leaves the whole world blind, some say. While this story is told form the Russian perspective, I hope there is some comfort in the unwashed and unabashed display of both depravity and kindness on both sides that is represented in this story.
Life in the Gulag for captured members of the German army was brutish and harsh, and often short. If your relatve returned home, then he truly must have been a strong individual. The german 6th army took 85% casualties before surrendering, most prefering death to capture as they knew how harsh the POW treatment would be. Out of the 90,000 Germans who marched into Soviet captivity at Stalingrad, only roughly 5,000 ever returned from Russia. Most German POWs were held for ten years or more after the war. This makes your relative one of the roughly 1% to survive and come home. Amazing odds, by anyone's counting.

The book is available by order through nearly every major book retailer as well as Amazon and many other online book sellers. I would like to offer to you, however, that should you choose to buy the book direct from us, please drop me a line at stavka@theredsoldier.com and I'll see to it that you receive an autographed copy by the authors, specifically made out to you.

I hope you enjoy the book, and if I can be of any further assistance, or you have any questions-commens-concerns, don't hesitate to let us know."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: